Friday, September 25, 2009

Aim For The Stars But Be Happy With The Moon

A couple of nights ago I got this nine top which seeing how busy I was going to be (not) , was going to make or break my evening.

They were real nice but they were speaking a foreign language which sounded a bit like Turkish or something to that effect. However , despite my concerns I continued giving the good service of which is expected and their bill came to $433. They rounded it off to an even $500 leaving me a $67 tip.

Last night was a similar situation in which I was starting late and one of the tables I had was a six top which were all ladies. They had a pretty good meal but I was not too sure what the end result would be but alas even with the 6 separate bills when you added up the gratuity it was quite fair. My last deuce of the night whom I thought would linger for quite a while left me a fairly good size gratuity as well or at least more than I thought I would get.

My adage has always been not to set my sights too high on what I should get. I know you should aim high and I do , but not leave yourself prone to disappointment if the tip is in fact low. It could set your state of mind in a tailspin. Keep your state of mind and attitude on a level basis throughout the night. Don't go up with a good table then down again with a bad table. It is exhausting.

The dishwasher said to me last night that I never show much enthusiasm. Well I do but it is a controlled enthusiasm. I retorted back to him that I have been doing this for quite a while and my attitude is I just come in and do my job and serve the people. That is it. It is what I do.

Aim for the stars I say but be happy if you only hit the moon! Who cares really what people leave us. As long as I get another table I will make it back. The percentages always work out.

0 comments:


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Home Interiors